The sound let this down.
You used so many tracks in this piece, it let it down. In flash, sound is important. Sometimes, some Flash work is excellent without any sound at all, because it fits the mood. But if you ARE going to use sound and music, it HAS to convey a message. It has to have a specific purpose.
Evanescence? Come on - this didn't have much baring on the first scene. I love the movie - it's an example of deep thought, hard work, and good graphics - the animation is a little too throw-together to compliment that much, but even that wasn't that bad. The thorn in your movie's side was the music. If you used specific pieces of music for certain parts, and backed it up with creative uses of sound effects, it would have been a lot better. The movie had potential to feel EPIC, but it didn't to me.
I liked your "storyline" too, for want of a better word. It's a nice, and semi-realistic idea. I don't want to get into the politics of this one, as a review isn't the best place to do so. But either way, I liked it. Good job, next time just work on the music.
Good ideas. Now for the problems:
- The sound was bad. As you say, "it makes it funny"... which is true, but even so, you could have made the sound quality better. Also, the voice was more annoying than funny - in the "grinding my brain down" way.
- Humour wasn't spectacular. I didn't even break into a smirk.
- Graphics were bad. Simple as. It wasn't funny-bad. It wasn't fittingly-bad. It was just bad, and the animation could have been improved, at no sacrafice to what you tried to achieve.
When I read your author's comments, I seriously cringed. I mean, telling people that your sound is bad, your graphics are bad, your movie is bad, but that's what makes your movie good, is JUST ASKING FOR TROUBLE. It's a stupid thing to say. "Oh yeah, I made my movie shit to be funny".
Seriously, just accept that your graphics need improving. That's all I ask. I don't know why or how this got on the front page, but it's an okay-movie I guess.
This was a fantastic Claymation. It was so crisp and professional in the way it was done - even down to the subtleties like the teeth of one of the men as he pulls his mask off. The only things I'd address that I found problems with was:
1) The music. I didn't like the music, nor did I think it was very fitting. Perhaps if you put some sort of supercharged action piece to fit in... I know you were probably going for a classic grinding gang song, but I feel with the amount of action occurring, something a bit more fitting would have done wonders. The music is a huge part of the feel of a movie.
2) Sound effects. Not too much, and not overdone - but a few more explosion sounds, bone-breaks, that sort of thing would liven it up. It might contradict the style you were aiming for but in my opinion it'd make it better.
3) Animation - the real-time fire you used seems to clash with the claymation feel. I'm not saying scrap it altogether, but something needs to be done I feel. The rest of your piece is seamless, so having this big thread sticking out kind of ruins it.
Other than that, there isn't any improvements I can think of. I thorougly enjoyed this piece - the characters were sound and it's amazing how much attention to detail you have had. And hey, I like KNOX's work and thought THAT was good... seeing this has opened my eyes to what claymation can actually achieve.
Whatever made you think of this idea, I don't know. It's not exactly something sick and twisted enough to disgust or offend someone, in fact it's not sick or twisted at all. But it's one of those things that you walk away from, shaking your head, thinking "WTF?" and trying to see how someone could have thought of such ideas.
Have you ever seen Being John Malkovich? That's what this reminds me of. So out-there, so random, so crazy. It's not humourous in the sense that it's meant to make me laugh, but it's funny in the way it's so weird.
All I can say is, this made me confused for a good minute of my life, and that's probably your aim. Also, the movie itself was well-done, and it's very clear that you have an overactive, and very creative, imagination. Good work...
I think. :S
It wasn't the bundle of raw emotion everyone is seemingly making it out to be though. I'm not even sure if it's worthy of the acclaim it's got... the graphics are good, the animation suitable. The theme was decent, and was obviously made with effort into the finer details. I also liked the music score, though the sound quality itself was, to be frank, bad for the filesize you have.
I liked the black and white theme, it suited the movie well. I didn't love this movie - but I appreciated it.
Even the preloader game was amazingly funny. The jokes in this were good, and it was well-scripted. The sound quality was very decent, though since the size of the .swf is quite large, I would have been disappointed if it hadn't have been...
Anyway, this was a really funny movie. For all the reviewers who are criticising your own "criticism", here's a hinter: IT'S A FUCKING JOKE MOVIE. It isn't a detailed review of any of the RE games, it's just humour. Grow up.
It was quite well drawn too, though the animation itself needs a little work - I never like it when characters turn around just by a flip with a motion tween, it looks so cheesy. Everything else was class though. Keep it up.
I had 6 orgasms watching this film, and 3 nosebleeds.
Fucking awesome. I love you Cool_Penguin_0, and I want to have your babies.... IN MY ANUS! :o
OMG ADDRESS PLEASE.
Funny, short randomness and mayhem! Typical of a Cool_penguin film! Well done you guys!
I love the different styles, however it was clear this wasn't meant to be a hugely artistic or design-angled project. Next time, try to spend more time on something more meaty, with linking storys, and perhaps better animation. Good anyway, I'm giving this a 3.
Lots of Jams don't have linking stories, but it could be a super cool idea.
10 10 10 10 10!!!
Best movie I have ever, EVER seen in Flash by far. Prowlies at the river was acclaimed for it's revolutionary ideas and work - and fair enough it was good, but it didn't do that much for me. This was the best - fantastic artwork, well done
I liked the atmospheric music, and this was a very creative piece. Well done.
newgrounds.com — Your #1 online entertainment & artist community! All your base are belong to us.